[Jalview-announce] Jalview 2.1 Applet

jalview-announce at jalview.org jalview-announce at jalview.org
Wed Aug 23 09:30:55 BST 2006

Hello all,

This is related to those installing the Jalview 2.1 applet.

 I would like to ask if you would consider using the parameter

<param name="APPLICATION_URL"
value="http://www.jalview.org/services/launchApp">

If this parameter is supplied, there will be an extra menu item in the
File menu, labelled "View in Full Application". If this is selected, a
servlet is called which generates a JNLP page using the file name (and
features file and annotations file if available) so the original data
will be visible in the full application.

However, this will only work if the user already has Java installed on
their machine, if not they will get the XML page returned and not know
what to do with it. It also requires the user to allow popups, it seems
most modern browsers are set to block popups by default. These are the
common problems we can foresee with this new feature.

Try it out with the example applets on
http://www.jalview.org/examples/applets.html.

If you find this is useful, or the functionality needs extending, let us
know!

Andrew