[Jalview-discuss] jabaws question about tree web service

Peter Troshin p.v.troshin at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Sep 9 11:57:25 BST 2011

Dear Joni,

Currently there is no interface in JABAWS for tree like data but you
should be able to add a new interface for the data like this.

I'd recommend you to extend the following interfaces - JABAService,
JManagement, Metadata<T>.
There are implementations for all the methods for these interfaces and
you should be able to use them without any modifications. Also, they are
pretty well documented so just read the Javadoc, but if something is not
clear feel free to ask.

If you do that then you only need to add new methods to deal with your
specific data types.

MsaWS interface should give you a good example. To be simplify the
integration with Jalview and keep the service consistent with the other
JABAWS services it is best to implements these methods

String buildTree(
@WebParam(name = "fastaSequences") List<FastaSequence> sequences)
throws UnsupportedRuntimeException, LimitExceededException,
JobSubmissionException;

I assume here that the input for the tree-puzzle is the list of the
sequences, please modify it accordingly if that is not the case.

presetBuildTree(
@WebParam(name = "fastaSequences") List<FastaSequence> sequences,
@WebParam(name = "preset") Preset<T> preset)
throws UnsupportedRuntimeException, LimitExceededException,
JobSubmissionException, WrongParameterException;

customBuildTree(
@WebParam(name = "fastaSequences") List<FastaSequence> sequences,
@WebParam(name = "options") List<Option<T>> options)
throws UnsupportedRuntimeException, LimitExceededException,
JobSubmissionException, WrongParameterException;

Tree getResult(@WebParam(name = "jobId") String jobId)
throws ResultNotAvailableException;

Once you’ve done with the coding you then, need to update wsbuild.xml
“build server” Ant task to include a new web service and execute it to
generate webservices artefacts.

For further steps please refer to the "how to add a new web service" guide.

All the above is true for the current JABAWS version which you can
download from here:
http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/jabaws/jaba-project.zip

Last but not least - we are very much interested in having a Tree-Puzzle
service in JABAWS. I wonder if you would consider sharing your work with
us. In that case I may be able to help you with the implementation.

Have fun!
Regards,
Peter