[Jalview-discuss] open files from command line without spawning new Jalview instance?

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Mon Sep 19 10:54:34 BST 2011

Hi,

When Jalview is already running, is it possible to open files in Jalview
from the command line?

I have a bunch of multiple alignments I'd like to look at in Jalview, and
rather than opening them through the GUI, I'd like to be able to do it from
the command line.

Using the command-line invocation given in the FAQ, I can open alignment
files like so:
$ java -Djava.ext.dirs=/Applications/Jalview/lib -cp
/Applications/Jalview/jalview.jar jalview.bin.Jalview -open test.aln

but doing this fires up a new Jalview instance each time.

Thanks,
Dave