[Jalview-discuss] Window stuck behind menu bar (solved!)

Leon P. Martinez Castilla castilla at miranda.ecologia.unam.mx
Fri Jan 20 23:01:32 GMT 2012

  Hi!

  I continued searching for answers to the window-behind-menubar problem and noticed that it had come up
previously on may 5, 2011 ([Jalview-discuss] Alignment window beyond top of Jalview window). The solution was
posted by Jim Procter:

It is a bug - and seems to be a problem with the way that OSX's java
implementation fails to handle interior menu bars properly.
http://issues.jalview.org/browse/JAL-368 is the most recent iteration of
it.

 From the bug report, you can see there is a workaround: A colleague -
Richard Bickerton found that if you use X, followed by G, to expand and
then collect all the views on the alignment (after first creating
another view with control-T if you don't have one), then all the windows
should get placed within the visible region of the desktop again.

 Since I´m using a mac (MacOS x 10.6) i was able to creat a new view using the option key + T, although using X
and G to expand and then gather the views was useless (a Mac-specific bug?). Fortunately, the menu bar on my
alignment window was still visible, so I was able to expand the views using the View menu, which brought the
windows to the middle of the desktop, where I could close the new view window and resize and replace the
original one to my heart's content.

   I'm sorry I hadn't read the discussion archives carefully enough before posting my previous message!

   Best,

   Leon