[Jalview-discuss] JalView and WSDbfetch

Hamish McWilliam hpm at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 13:53:18 GMT 2012

Hi folks,

A couple of observations from checking through our logs from WSDbfetch:

* JalView is using Apache Axis 1.2RC2 as the SOAP library. The last
version of Apache Axis to support RPC/encoded SOAP services was 1.4 (see
http://ws.apache.org/axis/). Switching may involve some changes, but
does improve performance and fixes some bugs. Alternatively WSDbfetch
now provides a document/literal interface and thus can be used with more
recent libraries such as Axis2 and JAX-WS.

* JalView is using the a legacy SOAP end-point for WSDbfetch (see
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/webservices/services/dbfetch), this has been
replaced by the end-points described in the current WSDL documents:
- http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ws/services/WSDbfetch?wsdl
- http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ws/services/WSDbfetchDoclit?wsdl
Note that, as well as supporting newer SOAP tool-kits (e.g. JAX-WS), the
document/literal SOAP service (WSDbfetchDoclit) contains additional
features not present in the RPC/encoded SOAP service (WSDbfetch) and is
the target for future updates to the SOAP service.

* To allow us to determine how much usage of the service comes from
JalView it would be nice if it used a specific user-agent for these
requests (see the provided sample clients for an example of how to do
this). I suspect other providers of services for which JalView is a
possible client would also like this.

All the best,

Hamish