[Jalview-discuss] JalView and WSDbfetch

Jim Procter foreveremain at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 14:42:37 GMT 2012

Hello Hamish.

Thanks for your very clear observations concerning Jalview's rather aged
client for the EBI's database services. Since Jalview 2.7 now requires a
minimum of Java 6, the obvious thing would be to change the wsdbfetch
client to one based on JAX-WS 2.0, in line with the other services
Jalview uses. I've not prioritised this myself because the original
service has performed so well.

That being said - It very much sounds like you'd like to remove the
legacy endpoint. If that is the case, can you provide an EOL timeline ?
Deadlines are always nice to know about.

Jim.

ps. Regarding the logging, I'll take a look at your documentation. My
experience with custom user agent strings, however, has not been a happy
one (read that as: I once spent several days trying to get custom agents
to appear in google analytics and they never did), but I'm sure we can
come to an agreement. Alternately, I am also happy to institute a
'tool=jalview' style usage indicator analogous to the approach that we
use for the rest client for EnVision2 and Sequence Harmony.

pps. If anyone would like to patch or otherwise regenerate the WSDbFetch
client in Jalview before I get around to it, I'm happy to merge it with
the codebase!
Bug is open here: http://issues.jalview.org/browse/JAL-1048