[Jalview-discuss] Title

Mungo Carstairs (Staff) g.m.carstairs at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jan 7 10:18:58 GMT 2016

Hello Alessandra,

I'm afraid it's not possible at the moment.

Jalview's image export is designed to reproduce (as exactly as possible) the alignment that you have generated, coloured, customized, annotated etc.

Adding in 'extras' such as a caption, while in principle possible, raise complications such as choice of font style and placement.

There may also be an argument that image captions should be separate from images, to allow reordering, indexing for references or tables of contents etc.

I think our philosophy is that Jalview provides the alignment image, and any further customisation is best done using an image processing tool.

But we are open to persuasion - if you would like to make a case for a (simple, optional) image caption feature in Jalview we could consider adding it to our feature request list.

Best regards,

Mungo

Mungo Carstairs
Jalview Computational Scientist
The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology
School of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
www.jalview.org<http://www.jalview.org/>
www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk<http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/>